Sunday, February 10, 2008

How the Righteous Shine

It will be good to notice two things at the start:  (1) love ought to find its expression in deeds more than in words; (2) love consists in mutual communications, i.e., the lover gives and communicates to the beloved whatever the lover has, or something of what the love has or is able to give, and the beloved in turn does the same for the lover.  Thus one who possesses knowledge will give it to the one without it, and similarly the possessor of honor or wealth shares with the one who lacks these, each giving to the other...

To ask for what I want.  Here it will be to ask for interior knowledge of all the good I have received so that acknowledging this with gratitude, I may be able to love and serve his divine majesty in everything.  

Point 1.  This is to bring to memory the benefits received - creation, redemption, and particular gifts - pondering with great affection how much God our Lord has done for me, how much he has given me of what he has: and further, how according to his divine plan, it is the Lord's wish, as far as he is able, to give me himself; then to reflect and consider within myself what, in all reason and justice, I ought for my part to offer and give to his divine majesty, that is to say, everything I have, and myself as well, saying, as one making a gift with great love:  "Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess.  You gave it all to me; to you, Lord, I give it all back.  All is yours, dispose of it entirely according to your will.  Give me the grace to love you, for that is enough for me."

Saint Ignatius of Loyola

-Saint Ignatius of Loyola (1556) was the founder of the Society of Jesus.

No comments: