Saturday, April 19, 2008

Great Faith

The psalmist refers to the words, "I will please the Lord in the land of the living"; and, as if a person asked, how do you know of the existence of such a place at all? he replies, that he knows it through faith.  "I have believed" that such a place exists, though unseen by mortal eye, and, by reason of such faith, I said, "I will please the Lord in the land of the living."  Saint Paul quotes this passage where he says, "But having the same spirit of faith, as it is written, I have believed; therefore I have spoken.  We also believe, and, therefore, we speak, knowing that he who raised up Jesus will raise us up also with Jesus, and place us with you"; where he teaches that the resurrection of the body, and the true country of the living in which we are to be located with the Lord Jesus, is to be learned in the spirit of faith, and not by any human demonstration.  And, as such faith requires a soul truly humble, that it may be subject to the obedience required by faith, he therefore adds, "but I have been humbled exceedingly."  I have believed, because I have not relied on my own abilities, but I have exhibited the greatest humility and docility to the Holy Spirit, as the Lord says in Matthew 11, "I give thanks to thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them to the little ones"; and in another place, John 5, "How can you believe who receive glory one from another?"

Saint Robert Bellarmine

Saint Robert (1621) was a brilliant Jesuit preacher and theologian noted for his rational argumentation.

No comments: